Recycling carpets – SP Carpets and Flooring want to help
Every month SP Carpets and Flooring removes literally tonnes of old carpet from homes and businesses in the Oxfordshire area. In fact according to Carpet Recycling UK, every year 400,000 tonnes of carpet waste is buried in UK landfill sites. It is an aspiration of our company to offer a full carpet recycling or re-distribution service for all our clients, both domestic and commercial, taking an active part in the reduction of this waste.
How is carpet recycled?
SP Carpets and Flooring is currently in the process of applying for membership with Carpet Recycling UK. The main endeavour of the scheme is to divert waste from landfill.
“Carpet Recycling UK is a not for profit membership association working to increase the recycling of carpet waste across the UK” Carpet Recycling UK.
Once our membership application is accepted, SP Carpets will be able to remove and recycle or re-distribute your old carpets following a specific process:
- The waste carpets will be stored in facilities awaiting collection or delivery to a local baling company
- The carpets are then cut into much smaller pieces and bound into bales ready for the recycling process
- Once at the recycling depot, the fibres are stripped from the backing and depending on the composition of the carpet, the fibres and backing are extruded into pellets for re-use
- The end result of recycled carpets could be anything from washing machine parts through nylon recovery to soil enhancers on green rooves and in compost
If you have a small amount of carpet and you want advice on what to do with it rather than sending it to landfill, here’s some ideas from Carpet Recycling UK:
- Freecycle, Freegle or Furniture Reuse Networks
- Local allotments
- Animal rescue shelters
- Anti-frost windscreen cover
- Pond liner
And more on their website: What can I do with my old carpet?
Why is recycling carpet important?
An ecological approach to the services of SP Carpets and Flooring is vital in the sustainability of the environment. Carpet Recycling UK has been tracking the waste that goes into landfill over many years and has created this comparison chart that shows just how much waste has been diverted away from landfill over the past seven years.
The benefits of recycling are far reaching and long lasting, not just to the environment but to SP Carpets and Flooring and their customers alike, in the following ways:
- Access to advice on the best methods of safe storage and disposal of waste
- Increased knowledge of our products
- Access to a directory of like-minded companies, building a community of ethical business conduct
- Carpet Recycling UK’s charity partners take suitable carpets and re-use them in their facilities, or in housing
- Reduced costs on landfill charges
What are the benefits to the customer of recycling carpet?
The benefits to domestic and commercial customers are instant and long lasting:
- SP Carpets and Flooring always pass on savings to the client
- Personal confidence that you are taking part in the ethical disposal of waste
- Confidence in the ethical conduct of your chosen carpet fitters
- Fewer skips on driveways!
As it stands, SP Carpets and Flooring is in the process of becoming a member of the carpet recycling scheme. So far we have identified a local company that is able to recycle bitumen-backed carpet tiles, often removed from office spaces and other commercial clients’ premises. We are very much looking forward to expanding our recycling provision to all our customers.